Wednesday, October 16, 2013

verbs followed by -ing clauses:-


Common verbs followed by –ing nouns are:
Verbs of liking and disliking:
detest
dislike
enjoy
hate
fancy
like
love
I love swimming but I hate jogging.
They always enjoyed visiting their friends.
A: Do you fancy going for a walk?
B: I wouldn’t mind
Phrases with mind:
wouldn’t mind (= would like)
don’t mind (= I am willing to)
would you mind (= will you please…?)
I wouldn’t mind having some fish and chips.
I don’t mind waiting for a few minutes.
Would you mind holding this for me?
Verbs of saying and thinking:
admit
consider
 deny
imagine
remember
suggest
Our guide suggested waiting until the storm was over.
Everyone denied seeing the accident.
Other common verbs are:
avoid
begin
finish
keep
miss
practise
risk
start
stop
I haven’t finished writing this letter. 
Let’s practise speaking English.
Passive form of -ing
Many of these verbs are sometimes followed by the passive form of -ing: being + past participle
I don’t like being interrupted.
Our dog loves being stroked under the chin.
Noun + -ing clause
Some verbs are followed by a noun and an -ing clause:
Verbs to do with the senses:
see
watch
hear
smell
listen to
etc.
We saw everybody running away.
I could hear someone singing.
 
Other common verbs:
catch
find
imagine
leave
prevent
stop
I caught someone trying to break into my house.
We couldn’t prevent them getting away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment