Thursday, October 17, 2013

Possessives

This possessives page brings together information about
  • possessive nouns
  • possessive adjectives
  • possessive pronouns
  • questions
  • reciprocal pronouns  

possessives: nouns

We use a noun with ’s with a singular noun to show possession:
We are having a party at John’s house.
Michael drove his friend’s car.
We use s’ with a plural noun ending in -s:
This is my parents’ house.
Those are ladies’ shoes.
But we use ’s with other plural nouns:
These are men’s shoes.
Children’s clothes are very expensive.
We can use a possessive instead of a noun phrase to avoid repeating words:
Is that John’s car? No, it’s Mary’s [car].>No, it’s Mary’s.
Whose coat is this? It’s my wife’s [coat].>It’s my wife’s.

possessives: adjectives

Can you match these possessive adjectives to the right personal pronouns?

its, your, my, their, our, her, his

SubjectObjectPossessive
Ime 
Youyou 
Hehim 
Sheher 
Itit 
Weus 
Theythem 

We use possessive adjectives:
• to show something belongs to somebody:
That’s our house.
My car is very old.
• for relations and friends:
My mother is a doctor.
How old is your sister?
• for parts of the body:
He’s broken his arm.
She’s washing her hair.
I need to clean my teeth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment