Thursday, October 17, 2013

‘ The Season of Autumn – Let’s Share Some Autumn Vocabulary

Blog_Autumn Image
I cannot believe that we’re already in mid-October. It only seems like yesterday that I was writing about Summer Idioms.
I must be getting old as time seems to be flying quicker and quicker these days!

ctg059
Knitting
Anyway, October is a lovely month as it welcomes the autumn(Fall in American English) season. I recently asked my Facebook fans what words came to their mind when they thought of the month of October. These were some of the words: romancefalling leavesgolden treeshot chocolateknitting.

Blog_Raking Leaves

For me, the month of October is when I start looking at my garden and preparing it for the winter. Some trees needpruning, the falling leaves need raking and the spring bulbs are planted.

Blog_Squirrels Storing Nuts

This is also the time when the squirrels run around my garden looking for good places to store their nuts for the winter.

Blog_Image-Autumn Leaves

Autumn is a spectacularly colourful time of year when the leaves on the trees turn into the warmest colours of orange, red, yellow and gold.


Blog_autumn-apples-600x420
Autumn is the apple season when a most wonderful variety of apples are available such as Golden Delicious, Royal Gala, Pink Lady, Jazz, Egremont Russet, Cox, Bramley (especially good for cooking) and Braeburn to name the most popular varieties.

With the apple season comes a typical British dessert calledApple Crumble that can be served warm or cold and is eaten with custard. It’s wonderful to eat it on those chilly autumn nights.
I start thinking of making warming dishes like casseroles with beef, lamb and/or sausages. It’s also the time when I prepare wholesome soups with lentils and vegetables.
Blog_HalloweenHowever, let’s not forget Halloween! What started as an American tradition has really taken off around the world. The shops are full of Halloween children’s costumes and goodies. On Halloween, we are always visited by the children in our area who are out trick or treating.
My husband and I always have a big box of sweets and chocolates to distribute to them when they ring our door. Their costumes are nothing, though, compared to what my American nephews wear on Halloween. They look completely the part with beautifully carved pumpkins in their garden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment